3 Scary And Dangerous Problems That Can Occur With A Home's HVAC System

Beware These Truly Harrowing Signs!

While most people appreciate a good scare, there are some scary problems that no one wants to deal with. Anything that involves real danger to someone's physical health or mental well-being should be avoided, which is why furnace maintenance and HVAC maintenance are so important. Some very scary and dangerous problems can result from a neglected heating and cooling system.

The Silent Killer: Carbon Monoxide Leaks 

detectorsCarbon monoxide (CO) is a gas composed of molecules with one carbon atom and one oxygen atom. It usually results from the remnants of partially ignited natural gas. Carbon monoxide is highly poisonous and odorless, invisible, and tasteless. There is no way for a human to detect the gas unless they witness or begin experiencing the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning. If someone in the household begins experiencing the following symptoms, it may be the result of a carbon monoxide leak:

  • Headache
  • Nausea
  • Disorientation
  • Weakness
  • Fatigue
  • Vomiting

A person with CO poisoning should be escorted from the house and taken to an emergency room. Then the leak can be dealt with. Leaks can be caused by pipes' holes from corrosion or a dirty or malfunctioning igniter. 

The best way to prevent a household from having CO poisoning is to have regular maintenance and install carbon monoxide detectors. This installation can and does save people's lives.

Creeping Terror: Mold Growth

mold While mold is not as dangerous as carbon monoxide, it can still cause multiple health problems and affect indoor air quality. If moisture gets caught in the HVAC system, which often happens, mold has a perfect place to grow. It can spread throughout ventilation systems depending on a home's ducts and can cause a musty odor and exacerbate respiratory conditions such as asthma, allergies, COPD, and emphysema.

Ring of Fire: Furnace Overheating

Perhaps the most explosive of these dangerous problems is the overheating furnace. A furnace overheats when it works too hard to pull air in. One can often fix this by changing the air filter and cleaning out any debris in the vents or ducts. Here are a couple of the signs of an overheating furnace:

  • Burning Smell: If a burning smell comes from the furnace, this can be a real problem. This can mean that the overheating furnace has caught something on fire. Dust particles and other things caught in air filters can be highly flammable. Furnace fires can be very dangerous to both household and property.
  • Humming Noise: The normal hum that a heater makes when cycling is not the sound being discussed here. The humming sound that indicates trouble is much louder and may indicate a problem with the blower.

About Eco-Green Air

A BBB-accredited business with experienced technicians, Eco-Green Air serves Raleigh, NC and the surrounding region with same-day appointments and 24/7 live answers. Call us today for HVAC service.